× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

AR-Pistol Help

• guddduidharaah
  • guddduidharaah's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 1 day ago #246 by guddduidharaah
guddduidharaah created the topic: AR-Pistol Help
Hows it going everybody! I am trying to assemble an AR (not my first) but am not certain of some of the laws or rules and how they work. I would like to build an ar that I believe would be technically be considered either a pistol or an SBR. My issue is that I am 19 and cannot legally own a pistol, at least to my knowledge. My family is very gun-heavy and we build AR's as like a cool group hobby. My big issue is I no longer live in the same home as they and don't want to build a pistol or SBR if I can't legally own either. I live in Oklahoma which I can tell since I know laws are different in each state/region. Is there any possible way for me to build either of these firearms legally?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 22 hours ago #247 by michael
michael replied the topic: AR-Pistol Help
I'll start with the easy answer. You won't be able to build an SBR because that requires a Federal tax stamp prior to building it and you won't be able to obtain that until you're 21. So go ahead and write that off your build list for the next 3 years. When you're ready, apply for the tax stamp before you even buy the parts to build it.

Pistol is a bit more ambiguous. CCW - you're out of luck. You can't get an OK CCW license until you're 21.

A good reference for Oklahoma CCW gun laws:

www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/oklahoma-gun-laws/

You can't get a handgun license (license to carry) in Oklahoma until you're 21, but owning is different than carrying.

The laws (federal) prohibit ownership by people under 18 except under certain circumstances - specifically, if the transfer is not unlawful (18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(4)). The dealer who sells it to you is not violating the law because you are legally allowed to own an AR-15 (by Federal and Oklahoma law).

My advise would be to contact your local LEO (probably the Sheriff) and ask them about it.

Awesome hobby to get into so young!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.